Nowadays, social Networks are an excellent entertainment tool with which we can meet people from around the world, find old friends, share our stories, or discuss and be informed about almost any subject.
Its use is increasingly widespread and almost all Internet users have a presence in one or several Social Networks. However, it is also important to know about all the tools and options they can offer us, since sometimes we can make mistakes and leave our data exposed.
The latest Facebook scandals have highlighted the importance of protecting our privacy in Social Networks, and although this work is not always simple, we can better protect our personal information and limit the access to third parties with a few simple steps:
– Social Networks such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram have a specific privacy section, where we can configure all options to our liking. It is advisable in this case to review the privacy of our account, modify the necessary parameters of the profile, and check how other users see our profile or what type of information they can access publicly.
– When registering or registering a profile of a Social Network, we must take into account that it is not mandatory to fill in all the fields, so if there is sensitive information that we do not want to share we can leave this data blank.
– Another bit of advice is to be especially careful with the people we add as friends, since they will have more access to our publications than other users.
– Monitor the access of applications to our Social Networks. It is usual that at some point we give access to an application that we are interested in using and eventually forget about it. However, this application can remain active and with permission to access our data, so it is advisable to review our profile and see what applications still have this type of access so that we block or delete them if necessary.
– Finally, a simple and basic bit of advice that we must always keep in mind: passwords. It is essential that the passwords we use on each website or Social Network are different from each other and, as always, the more complex and longer a password is, the better.